For those of you who are fans of NASCAR racing, there is a way for you to experience first hand what it would be like to actually drive an official NASCAR racing car. There are few things which come close and the Richard Petty Driving experience is one of the best ways to experience this safely?
There are two major ways to experience Richard Petty Driving experience.
The first is a ride along experience. You'll ride shotgun in a 2 seat NASCAR style stock car driven by a well trained driving instructor.
The car will do a 3 lap qualifying heat and run up to 165 mph. There are 20 NASCAR tracks which sponsor this type of program.
The second program is Driving experiences. In this case you'll assume command of the car and learn first hand what it is like to drive a real race car. This typically includes the following:
– Orientation and Introductory video. You'll meet your instructors and then watch a short 20 minute video featuring Richard Petty.
– Driving Instruction. You will learn how to find and follow the "line" on the track. Then you will learn about acceleration, proper following distance, acceleration / deceleration points, etc.
– Mechanical and Safety Instruction. You'll learn important details of the race car including how to enter and exit, shifting patterns, safety devices, etc.
– Drivers Meeting. You will meet and go over any last minute details and get any remaining questions answered. This is also an opportunity for you to get your picture taken next to your race car.
– The Driving Experience. This is where you actually get to drive the racecar. Use your experience and training up to this point to help you to keep good control over the car and gradually increase the speed you can operate the race car. There are usually more than one session so after each, the instructor will review your performance and recommend ways to improve upon it.
– The last step is graduation where you'll receive a log which shows the speed and performance you achieved on the track. It's a great item to frame and display in your den or office.
The school operates at up to 20 different NASCAR tracks throughout the year so you're sure to find a session at a location and time which works best for your schedule. It also makes a great gift for your special race fanatic. So check it out and go for it or yourself or someone special. They'll love it!